- Existing clubs and workout groups must re-register each year before any member can register for the current year with the club. Clubs may register starting in October and must be registered before their workout groups (if they have any) can register. Clubs and workout groups should be registered by November 1 of each year so new members can register online with that club. The National Office will send electronic renewal notices, which contain customized renewal links, to each club or workout group that was registered during the previous year. Memberships may be renewed online with a credit card.
- If the club is unable to renew online, it should complete a Club Membership Application and return it to the USMS National Office with a check made out to U.S. Masters Swimming. Once the club registration form and check is received, the National Office will enter it for the new year as soon as possible and by November 1.
NOTE: A club must be registered before individual members can be registered with that club. If a member wishes to compete but his/her club has not yet registered, the registration must be submitted as “unattached.” The online Registration System will not list the club for the current year unless it has been registered by the membership coordinator via the Registration Software.
- New clubs or workout groups may register online at any time.
- A club’s number as listed in the USMS database is XXY-ZZZ:
Y=Last digit of the year
Example: Club XYZ had the number XX1-015 in 2021. Club XYZ will have the number XX2-015 in 2022.
NOTE: This numbering system does not show up on a member’s card. The card has the Club number--Club Abbreviation.
- Clubs maintain the same number and letter abbreviations from year to year. If a club goes “dormant,” its number should NOT be reassigned to a different club. If the club “resurfaces” and re-registers at a later date, it should be reassigned its original club number. (NOTE: This is intended to aid the processing of Top Ten.)
- Club and Workout Group Abbreviations: The 2- to 5-character club abbreviation (as of 2019), once verified by the LMSC membership coordinator as being available, must be maintained throughout the registration year. Abbreviations not used in the previous three years are "released" and available for another club to use.
If a program wishes to change their abbreviation they will need to contact the USMS National Office before Nov. 1 of the current year. (before individual registration opens for the new year) USMS will first confirm the abbreviation is available, and if so help the program renew for the new year with their preferred abbreviation. This insures that historical entries are preserved and kept intact, and you receive the club abbreviation of your choosing.
Beginning in 2022, all USMS clubs and workout groups must have unique abbreviations nationwide. Previously, workout groups could have the same abbreviation as clubs or other workout groups as long as they were in different LMSCs.
- The Club Admin dashboard enables club contacts to make needed changes to team details, facility and contact information throughout the year. Here are some other helpful pages to get you ready for the club registration: