U.S. Masters Swimming plans to hold our first in-person meeting of volunteers, the 2022 USMS Volunteer Relay, in Denver, March 4–6 to help local volunteers network, share ideas, collaborate, and motivate each other. This gathering is designed to enrich the local Masters Swimming experience and will feature a series of workshops and discussion topics with the main theme of club development.
- Location - Westin Denver International Airport
- Dates - March 4-6
- Times - Starting Friday, March 4, in the mid-afternoon. Concluding Sunday, March 6, mid-morning
The tentative agenda and session topics have now been posted on the Relay 2022 virtual calendar, which allows attendees to explore meetings and sessions, build their own agenda, register for meetings, learn about speakers, and discover who will be attending sessions.
Who Should Go?
The theme of Relay 2022 is club development with a focus on building relationships with facilities, recruiting and supporting coaches, and providing resources for clubs to grow. LMSCs should select attendees who have the interest, skills, and passion for helping develop USMS clubs at the local level. LMSCs are recommended to consider bringing at least one tenured volunteer, one volunteer who also coaches, and one volunteer who has never participated in a national-level meeting.
- LMSCs will be funded based on the number of delegates they're entitled determined by 2021 membership.
- You’ll find the LMSC attendee entitlements here.
- An LMSC may choose to bring more participants but must fund the entire cost for additional attendees.
- Attendees may also choose to pay to participate.
USMS pays for lodging (double occupancy/shared room) and hospitality (food and beverage) for entitled LMSC attendees from each LMSC including:
- ½ of hotel cost for two nights
- Attendees who request a single room will be responsible for the balance.
- Heavy hors d’oeuvres on Friday night
- Lunch and dinner on Saturday
LMSC pays for airfare and incidental expenses for all attendees including:
- Airline or mileage travel cost for attendee(s) to travel to the Relay
- Saturday and Sunday morning breakfast and food getting to and from Relay
- Other incidentals
Note: LMSCs that have less than three funded attendees and wish to have more participants attend will be able to apply for additional financial support. More details will be shared directly with these LMSCs.
COVID-19 Mitigation Protocols
USMS is monitoring the COVID-19 situation in Denver and nationally, and planning accordingly. We're working with the Westin Denver International Airport to ensure Relay 2022 will be as safe as possible for our attendees. Marriott has rolled out its Commitment to Clean program that’s committed to providing a safe environment for both staff and guests. The protocols below are the current plan but could change as we get closer to Relay 2022:
- Vaccinations and boosters
- Strongly recommended for all attendees.
- Mask mandate
- Both the Westin Denver hotel and counties in Denver have instated mask mandates regardless of vaccination status. The hotel is on airport property, so masking rules will be the same as when travelling.
- Masks are not required while actively eating or drinking.
- Negative COVID-19 test
- All attendees are asked to test within 72 hours of attending Relay.
- You won’t need to show proof of a negative test, but we ask in the name of our volunteers, staff, and your own health that you stay home if you test positive.
Communications and Updates
- September 13, 2021 - 2022 USMS Volunteer Relay – Save the Date
- September 15, 2021 - STREAMLINES for Volunteers
- September 26, 2021 - Update to HOD 3 Agenda - 2021 Annual Meeting
- December 2, 2021 - 2022 Volunteer Relay - Update 1
- December 16, 2021 - 2022 Volunteer Relay - Update 2
Resources for Attendees
- Business Proposal - USMS Volunteer Relay - presented during the 2021 Annual Meeting HOD 3